top of page

ACMA Australia & New Zealand


The ACMA covers Radio Equipment and Electromagnetic Compatibility

The legislation they enforce


As the regulator, we can investigate activities under certain laws and legal instruments including:


There are also other rules, codes and standards which together with the primary legislation form the regulatory framework.    

Note: if your product is electrical and does not fall under the legislation listed above it have have to meet the Radiocommunications Labelling (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Notice 20 (EMC Tested)


Know what you must do

There are things you must do before and after you supply a product the ACMA regulate.

It is your responsibility to know and follow these rules.


Who is a supplier?


The ACMA consider you a supplier if your product is for the Australian market and you are:


A manufacturer in Australia

  • A manufacturer makes a product for sale in Australia.

  • If you make a product for an overseas market only, we do not consider you a supplier.


An importer in Australia

  • An importer brings a product into Australia for sale.

  • If you ship a product from an overseas distributor to a customer in Australia, we consider you an importer.

  • Importers can include Amazon and Etsy sellers.


An agent in Australia

  • An agent is someone in Australia who acts on behalf of a manufacturer or importer.


Supplier checklist


The ACMA have 5 steps for suppliers to follow.


Before you supply a product to the Australian market, make sure you have addressed the following links:

  1. check the rules to follow

  2. show your product complies

  3. sign and keep records

  4. register as a responsible supplier

  5. label your product.


You cannot automatically supply products:

  • with overseas markings

  • that you change in any way after you go through our steps for suppliers


If you do not follow our rules

ACMA audit and investigate suppliers and products.

If we find that you are not following our rules, the ACMA may respond by:

  • asking you to agree to follow our rules

  • giving you a formal warning

  • telling you to pay a penalty.


We consider all the facts of your case when choosing how to respond.

Get help to follow our rules

We help you to understand our rules by:

  • setting out the 5 steps for suppliers

  • having a test to find the rules for your product.


If your product is complex, or is a system made up of a number of pieces of equipment, contact us for advice.




You can have an Australian agent act on your behalf.


An agent is usually an independent consultant or testing body that offers agent services. The CE Marking Authority offer a service were;

  • giving you advice about our rules and produce the compliance report

  • arranging the testing of your product if required

  • signing a declaration of conformity (Form C02)

  • keeping records

  • ensuring the labelling on your product correct.

  • assist you in registering as a responsible suppler


It is up to you to find and choose an agent. We hope you choose the CE Marking Authority

Make sure you have an agency agreement in place.

Even when you do use an agent, be aware: you might still be ultimately responsible for making sure your product complies with our rules.


Products that change (Modifications)

You might have already gone through our 5 steps for suppliers to show your product complies with our rules.

If your product changes in any way, it might no longer comply with our rules. When it no longer complies, it has had a 'material' change.

It is likely you will have to check whether your product still complies and update your records.


For any product change, you must sign and keep a statement. Generally the statement should:

  • describe your product and the change

  • say whether the change is material or not.


Check your product's labelling requirements to know what to do.


You can get help to follow our rules by contacting the CE Marking Authority


Products with overseas markings


Your product might have overseas markings, such as the CE mark. This does not mean that:

  • your product complies with any of our rules

  • you can label your product with the Regulatory Compliance Mark

  • you can supply your product without the RCM.


In some cases, you might be able to use international documents (for example, test reports) to show your product complies with our rules.


Check your product's labelling requirements for whether you can use international documents.

Generally you will still have to label your product with the RCM.

You can get help to follow our rules by contacting the CE Marking Authority

For information on the EESS requirements go to the following link

bottom of page